Most frequent questions and answers
SOL has 4 terms in a year. You may apply to study at any point in the year, but you will only be able to commence with your studies at the beginning of Term 1, 2 and 3, NOT Term 4.
Applications close 2 WEEKS prior to a Terms commencement. However, note that space is limited meaning that you might be placed on a waiting list!
- Go to www.schoolofleadership.co.za
- Click on Hub (top right corner)
- You will arrive at your HUB page.
- Click on “courses” or scroll down and click “register now” on the course on offer in the Term you wish to begin your studies.
- You will be taken to the course page – click “take this course”.
- Choose which certificate you will be doing
- Choose your payment plan by clicking on “choose an option”
- Click view cart and make sure your order is correct
- Proceed to checkout
- Fill out your personal information for payment
- Click “sign up now”
- Fill out your card information & then click “pay”
- Please check your email (and your spam) folder and wait for your Welcome email.
- Click on the link and use the information on the email to sign in.
- WELCOME TO SCHOOL OF LEADERSHIP.
Our payment system is an online system. Payment occurs when registering for your certificate. We run a subscription system for your convenience, all you need to do is pay online with your card and you are good to go.
|Biblical Overview||Bartholomew, Craig, and Michael Goheen. The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story. 2nd ed. 2014 Publishers include: 1. SPCK (cheaper) OR 2. Baker Academic|
|Theology of the Kingdom||Morphew, Derek. Breakthrough: Discovering the Kingdom. 5th Edition. Vineyard International Publishing, 2019.|
|Jesus & Apprenticeship in the Gospels||Venter, Alexander. Doing Spirituality: The Journey of Character Formation Towards Christlikeness. Vineyard International Publishing. 2019.|
|Paul & Transformation in the Epistles||Venter, Alexander.Doing Spirituality: The Journey of Character Formation Towards Christlikeness. Vineyard International Publishing. 2019.|
|Demonstrating the Kingdom||Morphew, Derek. Demonstrating the Kingdom. Vineyard International Publishing. 2019.|
|Biblical Leadership||Mitchell, Costa. Giving Leadership: Taking others with you on a journey to destiny. Vineyard International Publishing. 2017.|
It is difficult to predict this because everyone is different. There are also two levels at which you can study: Ministry OR Academic. As a rough guideline, plan to spend 4-6 hours per week studying at the Ministry Level and 5-8 hours per week studying at the Academic Level.
All courses will contain two multiple-choice assessments and an assignment. The assignment will be tailored to suit the subject matter. For example, a theoretical course like the Theology of the Kingdom will contain an Essay (Academic Level) and Reflection (Ministry Level), whereas a more practical course like Biblical Interpretation will involve you in exegeting (interpreting) biblical texts.
SOL is not accredited with the Department of Education.
SOL falls under the auspices of the Vineyard Church Durban – http://www.vineyardchurchdbn.com/ and serves as the formal training arm for Vineyard South Africa.
Note that while the programmes do not fall under any governmental accreditation agency, careful thought and effort has been made to ensure that the programmes are aligned with tertiary level education standards.
- South African Theological Seminary (SATS)
SOL has a partnership agreement with SATS. This will ensure that SOL students who complete the Advanced Leadership programme at Academic Level can enter the Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.) degree and be awarded 120 credits for recognition of prior learning.
SOL students who do not possess a Senior Certificate, but can manage the Academic Level, will be allowed to complete the SATS Higher Certificate in Christian Leadership (HCCL). This qualification will open the door for these students to then enter the Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.). They will receive 60 credits into the HCCL as Recognition of Prior Learning. Once they have completed the HCCL, they will then enter the B.Th. and receive the remainder of the 120 credits students with a Senior Certificate receive.
We are partnering with Re-Forma to ensure that our Ministry Level students receive recognition for what they have studied by the Vineyard Movement and further afield.
SOL’s desire is to try and accommodate students who might not have English as their first language. To do this, all of the courses are offered at Academic and Ministry levels. The former level will include course assessments such as essays, which require Matric English levels of proficiency. The latter level will include multiple-choice assessments and assignments that are suitable for students who have a grade 10 English level of proficiency.
Each course consists of the following components:
- One carefully selected textbook focussing on the nature of the subject
- Video and Audio lecture content delivered by the subject matter expert
- Regular discussion/interaction/reflection and mentoring sessions with a professor focussing on the material and the application thereof
- Course appropriate assessments
Leadership 101 is 12 months in duration and consists of 4 Terms. The Advanced Leadership programme consists of an additional 12 months of training completed over 4 Terms.
- be 18 years or older
- have the appropriate level of English proficiency (see Academic and Ministry levels of study)
- submit appropriate references
- be part of a local church and be actively serving in a lay or paid capacity
Students are required to:
- fulfill all of the course assessments
- pass each course with a minimum average of 55% per course
- attend a minimum of 85% of the discussion/mentoring sessions
- Pay their fees in full
A term ranges between 10 and 11 weeks and one course is offered per Term 1 and 2, while the equivalent of one and a half courses are offered in Terms 3 and 4.
SOL does not offer an option for receiving prior learning credit.
Please email admin@schoolofleadership for more information.